Sunday 26 November 2017

The Homeland Dear


I crawled in bed with Nani many a night
To listen to her many tales of a homeland dear
I held to her to escape my night’s fright
Of Her folktales and her childhood I would hear

Her delight she could never hide
With all those memories she would cheer
“What was it like Nani?” I asked wide-eyed.
She smiled and said, “Not like here.”

“Oh my child I wish you could feed
Upon the mangoes and melons we did
As large as my thumb was the melon-seed
The fruits of my Des were splendid

The fields were green and grass grew tall
Oh that scent of my Des in the rain.”
She came here and left it all
Her tales spoke both of longing and pain

My grandparents were both Gujarati
They boarded a ship and came here
From Junagadh all the way to Karachi
The ship sailed but their hearts did never steer


To them India was always Des
To them Pakistan was watan
And to us it was a confusing case
How they loved the two as one.


That love from them we did inherit
Were taught the Gujarati language too
I am a Pakistani , I did declare it
I loved English, and I romanced Urdu.

They passed on one more thing
They told me to never forget my roots
And to my roots I did cling
Yet, I did keep growing shoots

My parents of Pakistani birth held
 The notion that Urdu makes you strong
It enriches your soul child they said
And so to Urdu I did as well belong

I truly cherished Meer, Faiz and Ghalib
I learnt and sang their poems merrily
My love carried me to Urdu’s crib
And I did once walk the streets of Delhi  


My soul of a child grew, met someone once and fell in love
They called themselves Mahajir, of Urdu birth he said he was
To me that was of no concern, to me love stood all above
But our union was not to be, “nobody from non-Urdu birth” was the cause

And I pondered over life then all dejected,
That my grandparents were mahajirs as well you see
Yet only for a language-difference I stood rejected?
When in spoken Urdu he was not any better than  me.

Life moves on and it did at its good pace
Years went by and I did learn to love again
What I narrate now is a whole new case
Of two lovers across borders tied only by love’s chain

He was from none other than Urdu’s heart – the city of Delhi
He was a bit of English, a bit of India and a whole lot of Urdu
He was a bit of everything I did hold dear you see
And one fine day he said, “I am falling in love with you”

I said I loved him as well in return and truly I did like never before
We shared a companionship of letters, of calls, of music, poem and prose
He spoke of Delhi’s food, his life there and the capital’s grandeur
I narrated my life’s mundane details and a longing to visit Delhi again arose



I would smile and laugh heartily when he would rejoice correcting my Urdu
He spoke of my flaws in Urdu, “Lady, you don’t have a clue”
“It’s bahar not baahir. Don’t tell me you say mubarik not Mubarak?”
“Haan tau Urdu hamari hai , Gujrati bhi hamari hee hai, koi shak?”

We laughed and celebrated each other and it is strange how
The borders that were once made to divide
Were a reason we loved each other so much now
Cricket matches seemed the only problem on each side

And yet, the only problem these were not sadly
Love between India and Pakistan is not merely a matter of the heart
Love howsoever we may , love howsoever madly
And yet, it was mad to assume we would not be apart

I once sat, looking over at the Arabian Sea
Wondering why did my grandparents travel on it  here
When acceptance for us on this side either, wasn’t to be
Was it worth leaving the acceptance that could be there

Love knows no boundary, Love’s propellers are insides us
Why then did we let birth, blood and barriers guide us?

Like many dreams and tales ours too at the border died
The barriers caught up and pain did greet
We left each other with a promise to hearts inside

That someday, you, me and Delhi shall surely meet.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment